Saturday, July 23, 2011

hard to look for a reliable tutor?

one parent approached me to teach her lower pri girl.

too bad, i hadnt got the time slot. next yr, maybe.

when in conversation, she told me that she would prefer a pte home tutor, rather than sending her girl to tuition centre, coz' she understands certain limitation of classroom teaching. attention time span of the child being one of them.

she was against engaging undergraduates as tutors, which i fully understand too! it's an issue of reliability when it comes to exam period which may clash with the tutors'...

in fact, she was sharing with me about a male tutor responding to her call, boasting eagerly of how he could transform her kid to a gifted stdt, his familiarity with the GEP syllabus and having all the questions on his head....

the parent was appalled, citing "he doesn't even knw my girl and her strengths/ limitations. how could he talk this way? in fact, he even assured me that 'result is guaranteed!' ya, sgd 60/ hr!"

yes, my jaws almost dropped when i heard her experience. 'pissed off' was the phrase that she used when it came to giving her account of that tutor.

halfway, she asked,"actually, to be frank, i wasnt keen to pick up any tutor coz' i was holding out for you! u really can't take her, huh! how about just a short tutoring after my boy? i can pay you more..!"

i declined flat. it's not the fees, it's not the short time squeezed in....although hubby always indicated that i could charge more for certain stdts/ parents/ locations.

aiya, that's not my style. 有缘没缘,一眼就知道咯!

i'll continue my 'selective' style...thks to the fact that i'm not relying on this job as bread and butter. thks to my dear hubby! it's a great feeling when one is not compelled to work for livelihood reason.

1 comment: