Monday, October 10, 2011

lingni's 过大礼日子

8th oct 2011.

it was my cousin's big day of wedding betrothal gifts presentation.

my mom was invited to be at aunty plum's place to help out in the social talk and 还礼习俗! i wanted to give my support too.

at 8.30 am, i arrived at their flat. i sneaked into the lift quickly and guess what, it was the bridgegroom and 2 other companions.

i asked,"rbr me?"

he said,"ya, of coz!"

then, i was so stupid to ask,"ur parents?"

his reply really embarassed me a little,"erm..my aunty and my cousin!"

u see, i hv no idea that the bridegroom's parents were not supposed to be present for such occasion. next, i should hv studied the age of the male cousin, he's definitely much younger than me (since i soon learnt that his kid is only 5 yrs off)....maybe, my eyes werent awakened yet at that hour, haha!

while at plum aunty's place, she looked so flustered in manner and must be really thankful that my mom was there to calm the atmosphere....and showing her the way to the custom's practice!

i was totally amazed to hear the bridegroom speaking hainanese with his aunty and male cousin...they told me that they come from a very closely-knit family with grandparents living in the same house...ya, that really makes a difference when it comes to kids learning their dialects.

the bridegroom even conversed with the mother-in-law in hainanese and that really put the latter at ease, haha.

well, it's nice to have in-laws who can speak the same dialect, that adds a lot more of closeness and warmth to a relationship.

i went in to the room to join mom and aunty plum. they were deciding how much to take as dowry. aunty commented that her hubby(ie bride's father) felt that a token could be accepted to rhyme with the soon-to-marry daughter as 家里的千金!

soon, it was the finale. the guests left and aunty plum was again bz sorting out the cakes and canned food into bags, ready for distribution. she was all perspiration and told me that she didn't sleep a wink the night before....this aunty plum always stresses herself easily. partly due to her overly responsible character and partly becoz this is the 1st time she is becoming a mom-in-law!

mom and i proceeded to tampines giant for bfst, followed by grocery shopping. both of us seemed to hv same interest in buying food stuff for the family. it was a good time spent on sat morn.

i promised to take her to eastpoint to buy a good pair of shoes for lingni's wedding!

4 comments:

  1. Mum was so excited, calling me a few times to pick up the cake. I had no idea she went to help Aunt Plum out!

    She only mentioned that she went to pick up the cakes with you, then had breakfast and went giant with you. I thought it was just a normal morn when you made time to have early breakfast with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know SIL and MIL speak in Hainanese. So interesting! In fact, I dun think our cousin can speak that language. Looking forward to the wedding and see how fluster our aunt plum will be on that day. Haha1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum enjoyed talking to my fil in hainanese too. Esp for my fil, he has no one to speak to in that dialect. He is from China and came over when he was a kid. No other siblings here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sths, having old folks at home really help calm the atmosphere.

    mom has married off 4 daughters, of coz, she's cool and steady lah!

    maybe, that's where our top A star producer got her genes from, hehe?

    afterall, white is more like mom, behaving like a super mom taking on so much respy and hv higher tolerance for nonsense. not me though.

    ReplyDelete