Saturday, March 26, 2011

is this a fair request?

i was asking my beloved other half,"what would u like for ur bdae?"

"no need lah!" his usual reply.

yes, indeed a simple man like him wouldn't require a lot. he's probably easily contented with few shirts and shorts to wear at home. that explained why in the last many years, my bdae presentation was merely food.....

at the sports link yesterday,"ah, how abt i buy you a pair of sports shoes?" i made another attempt to convince buying something for him.

after browsing through the rack, his reply was again nay nay.

in any case, i changed my mind too, reasoning,"better not buy shoes for u, else u will walk out of the house!" ha, superstitution talk only lah.

just this morn, i asked in serious tone again,'what would u like to hv for ur bdae?"

finally, he said,"ok lah, u vote for opposition party this yr!"

what, something that's non-monetary based yet, thwarting my own will...no way, i told him.

in his usual dry humor, he said,"i dun want ur vote to neutralise mine!"

wow, this whole thing is getting a little out-of-hand, i retorted.

when we got home, claire pursued this matter with me about voting rights. i gave her an example of the class being asked to vote for the monitor, given the nominees' names. well, would she change her mind about the voting name, just because a very close friend told her to do so, and the basis of the change was tantamount to a bdae gift exchange.

she vehemently said, "no way!"

well, the option for me with the same minded support from my younger daughter is unwavering.

voting is an individual's right. no way would such right be given up as a presentation of bdae gift. while i believe in accepting our spouse in his original form, anything to do with going against my own will and rights, i am afraid, isn't going to work!

sorry, beau!

tell me what u need now, haha?

3 comments:

  1. Haha, this birthday request is definitely out of expectation. Only your Significant Other can think of this. Just go for a nice meal is good enough. If Orange asked me, I will also say nay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my SO half can think of many things impossible. but accepting him and his weird ideas might be the best memories that i hv, 10 yrs down the memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is just so him! Haha, sure he didn't mean it. He just liked to poke fun.

    ReplyDelete