Wednesday, August 17, 2011

charity work

my bestie told me that she accompanied her 13-yr old daughter to do charity work last week. 7 other guys joined in the team, and the group happily helped out a poor family at telok blangah to clean up the house.

well, i am touched and amazed by bestie's daughter, j, who is matured and compassionate, despite her tender age. this girl hardly lifts her fingers to do dirty housework, but she had no one word of complaints sitting on the dusty floor of that household, cleaning the shelves and packing the cd rack.

my friend was appalled to tell me,"there's no broom at home. the lady owner has not swept the floor for many yrs. the 50-ish owner has a hubby with stroke, a mentally disabled daughter and a 30 plus son who's a bad egg..."

poor lady...coming to this earth to repay her 'debts' to these members, reckoned my friend.

i salute her for being so supportive of her daughter's charity inclination. i wouldn't dare dream of my 2 girls doing such 'charity' work; it takes a lot of compassion to get down to that level.

claire's opinion was,"aiya, give them some money lah! they should need it more!"

well, i told her pple help in different ways. sometimes, it's not just the money benefits. it's showing love and kindness to a family who's probably long forgotten by neighbours and society.

parenting is all about rendering help and support to your children all the way....so, joy, go all out for your dance movements and excel in it! as for claire, continue to perfect ur chinese dance stunts and one day, surprise us with your skills!




2 comments:

  1. I always thought about doing charity work but never got down to doing it. The most I did was donation but what I really want to do, is physical work. I always salute those volunteers and those working for charity organization, how they can put money aside and put their hearts to help people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too salute such volunteers. I never go during my working days when they organize trips to the home for the less normal. Honestly, I m scared. Like at Mac few weeks ago, there was a group there with volunteers. Suddenly, a retarded man walked to a lady to touch her arm and shake her hand. I was so scared he will come to me cos we were at the next table, luckily, the volunteer took him away.

    ReplyDelete